Re: Auto journalists - a short story

Jim Ruffi wrote:

In the late 80's I picked Ken Gross up from the train station, as he was
scheduled to take one of our cars (Citroen CX25 GTi Turbo) for a week to do
a test drive for a feature article for Car & Driver magazine.  On the way
back to our offices, he pointed out that the position of my hands (4 o'clock
and 8 o'clock) were a problem; I would not be able to provide adequate
steering input if I needed to perform a quick evasive maneuver.  My hand
positioning was influenced by European drivers I'd traveled with and I knew
the CX, with its super responsive hydropneumatic steering, would respond.

Ken took the car (my baby - I'd worked with the body shop on a special paint
job and I'd installed a high-end audio system, both for that year's New York
International Auto Show) down to Maryland and proceeded to total it during a
mild snowstorm.

I got the car back on a flatbed, never to be driven again.  Our company got
a one page writeup.  Ken *was* kind enough to admit that the car saved his
life.

Friggin' journalists!!!!

Nowadays, due to power steering, they are teaching that 4-8 or 5-7 are good positions. When I went through drivers ed they did not actually say to put your hands here and here, but where ever feels comfortable as long as you are using the under arms for steering (bottom half of the wheel). They also say never to cross your arms in front of the wheel. If you are in a wreak then the air bag will knock your arm into your face. Thank God I don't have air bags :).

--
	--Jacob Hawes
Cars: