Wow, what a drive....

fun!

perhaps the most memorable drive, for me, was the 10k miles i drove
in my 86 civic in the summer of 2002 with my then-fiancee.

general route was pittsburgh,pa -colorado springs - independance pass
- utah canyonlands - vegas - los angeles - san fran - eureka, ca -
pasadena - northern arizona (north rim of the canyon, off-roading -
about 1k of the trip was off-road on firetrails and in desert) -
bryce canyon (at night :(...) - central colorado -  central-new
mexico-to-austin, tx-in-one-shot! - lake charles, la.  it was at the
end of this trip (leaving fiancee with family in lake charles) that i
pulled the 20+ hour endurance drive.

the driving experience i remember best from that trip is coming down
to the big sur area along 101 at around 3am - felt like miles of s-
curves (i think it was 30?) - by the time i got out of the curves, i
was so physically and psychologically exhausted (no power steering on
the (heavily overloaded) civic) that i thought i was going to lost it
on the next curve.  so we stopped for a break.  and heard, upon
stepping out of the car into a dense fog, the biggest sound of surf
i've ever heard in my life.  i can only assume (it was literally
pitch black) that we were just next to a sea-cliff.  but i had the
shakes too bad to try finding the edge...

blake/