Queen of the piddly ass tech procedures once again

On 12:18:34 pm 08/27/05 <fahrvergnugen@cox.net> wrote:

> >  From: Chris Bennett <scirocco16vr32@gmail.com>
> >  Date: 2005/08/27 Sat AM 11:19:05 EDT
> >  To: roccit_53@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca
> >  CC: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
> >  Subject: Re: Queen of the piddly ass tech procedures once again
> >
> >  Someone was telling me that the NB's are very temperamental about
> >  the headlights. He has owned a couple of them and it was always
> >  one light that kept dying on him. It was the right headlight on
> >  one and the left headlight on the other. It was to the point that
> >  he usually replaced 3-4 on one side before having to do the other.
>
> I think it is a combination of vibration (although the housings and
> brackets are steel, the fenders, core support and housings themselves
> are plastic.  I think there is some sympathetic vibration going on,
> what with a round car), and the H/L harness in the H/L itself is ONLY
> enough to take care of a stock bulb.  Any higher wattage and the wiring
> has trouble...
> In other words, the NB headlights are only as good as the Old
> Bettles...  :-)
> David

I can't see how they'd vibrate as much as my Rocc headlights (which are
also half H1s) but on the NBs, it may be the daylight running lights going
from very cold to "on" and hot, combined with the fact that there are four
bulbs, so it's hard to keep track of which one is actually blowing. I go
through one or two a year, and it's not just one side. Tails seem to fare
better, and they'd get the same vibration as the headlamps. I've tried
Hella/Osram/ and cheapies from Canadain Tire, all about the same result.

But in the topic of piddly, my MkI hatch REALLY leaks... :(

Cathy