[ot] Biodiesel (was:gas price vs. mileage)

Allyn wrote:
> I would truly LOVE to do this to the caddy, but honestly, it has to
> 'take a number', as the twin comes first. After this patrol I will be
> going flat out to get that crap done... Al

Biodiesel runs in any conventional, unmodified diesel engine. No engine
modifications are necessary to use biodiesel and there is no "engine
conversion." In other words, "you just pour it into the fuel tank."
(Ed.: with caveats of cold gelling and old rubber degradation)
http://www.metaefficient.com/metaefficient/archives/biodiesel/biodiesel-faq.html

He is suggesting you make it in your garage like this:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html
CAUTION:  Lye is dangerous

South Carolinians can buy it from Willie Nelson:
http://www.wnbiodiesel.com/locations-SC.html

But I think the whiz-bang high-tech in a modern TDI is key to joy.
Have a safe patrol.