Slegato acquisition - part 1 (long)

It's been a long journey to get this far, but I now possess
a Paprika Red Slegato.

A few of you might remember the failed attempt to retrieve
said car from Montreal in March - and promptly blew the
transmission in Mark F's Audi before even leaving Hamilton.

Finally over this past weekend, I snagged mom's F-150 and
headed north of the border, using Cathy's as a base of
operations.  She and I headed out on Sunday afternoon for
the 7 hour drive to Marc's.  (We knew it was going to be
either a really good trip, or a really bad trip by the
parasol umbrella we saw within minutes of leaving that was
gently wafting down to the ground from 200-300 feet in the
air.)

We met up with Marc for a few minutes Sunday evening (after
a couple wrong turns in scenic Montreal) and checked out
the car.  It's a wee bit rough around the edges, but it's
quite solid enough to work with (almost no rot underneath),
unhit with original paint, clean interior and mechanically
taken care of.

Monday morning we met back up with Marc in search of
breakfast and a tow dolly. (while acquiring the dolly we
had a dual Scirocco sighting at the shop next door.  We
spoke with the mechanic who owned both and he knows about
the list but has no web access at home...)  With breakfast
and dolly both acquired, Marc did the honours of driving
the Slegato up onto the dolly and then he and Cathy stood
around taking lots of pictures while I cinched "Gino" to
the dolly.  (Normally I don't name cars, but this one stuck
from the first attempted retrieval and it seems to fit.)

The trip back to Cathy's was relatively uneventful, with
her occasionally asking questions like "is that damn red
car still tailgating us?"  Gino towed wonderfully, and we
arrived back at Cathy's exhausted around 10:30 Monday
night.

Now if the importer wasn't on vacation, I'd leave Gino on
the dolly and take him home.  However, it looks like yet
ANOTHER trip to Cathy's (oh darn!) is in order before long.
 This might give me time to actually diagnose the coolant /
oil mixing and fix it so I don't have to tow him the rest
of the way back to Ohio.

Huge public thanks goes out to Cathy for everything she's
done so far, and allowing me to leave Gino with all the
rest of her "fine German scrap metal" as she puts it.  Also
thanks to Marc for the immense amount of patience it
required to actually get the acquisition accomplished after
what, seven months?

I just can't stomach the thought of a seven hour drive home
today after living in that F-150 since Friday.  Besides, I
have a new toy to play with, home can wait another day....

Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'81 Scirocco S               '85 Scirocco 8v
'86 Scirocco 8v              '88 Scirocco 16v
'88 Scirocco Slegato *still Canadian, but on it's way Stateside*
'96 Passat GLX Wagon         '56 Cessna 172

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs