Belts are Squealing...

I turn once again to the wisdom of those who have gone before...

The scenario:  2.0L 16V.  Alternator gave up the ghost after Cincy.
Finally had the chance this weekend to change it out with a rebuilt.
Replaced all three belts while I was in there (Alt to A/C, A/C to H2O,
and H2O to P/S)  I got everything back together after replacing some
long ago needed wiring from the battery outwards from both poles. I
started the car to hear one of the belts squealing like a pig stuck in a
hay bailer.  I jump out to check and tighten everything and then
restart...  Same noise. Noticed it was the A/C to Alt belt that was
moving and making the noise, so I get help from the spouse and get that
sucker even tighter and put some belt dressing on it... Still sounds
like a sheep being sucked into a combine.  Took everything apart and
retightened everything... Still louder Durocco at full throttle putting
the Fear of God in the residents along Airport Road.

I let it run and watched to see what was happening and noticed two
things that may be contributing.  The first is that the Alt to A/C belt
looks too fat for the pulley on the A/C and second that the pulley on
the A/C for this belt was a little wobbly (couldn't see any way to
tighten it.) I bought a new set of belts to throw on once I get the
chance to work on it again and this one looks a good bit skinnier than
the one on there now.  Anyone have any other ideas.  I don't want to
have to force it so tight that I end up ruining the shaft bearings on
the rebuilt alternator.

Thanks for the help, looking forward to driving a Rocc again soon.  I
haven't driven one since Cincy.  Three in the drive and not one of them
road worthy at the moment.  I need some time off...

Dave

David L. Winchell, II
DavidWinchell2@sprynet.com
87 2.0L 16V Scirocco