"GN" Trans code?

--- Dan Bubb <jdbubb@verizon.net> wrote:

> Really??? A 16V pressure plate is enough to hold your engine's 230 something
> HP??

Well, the *wheels* see 235hp...but the pressure plate probably sees something
more like 275. :P

But yeah, the OEM PP worked fine. And in the last few days I've learned that
the current "16v" PP was superceeded some time ago by the 2.0L 8v plate. I've
been told the only real difference is that it only has one-layer straps holding
it together, while I hear the "classic" 2.0 16v had double straps. Mine only
has the single straps, so it was actually the newer style. TT sells a modified
version where they have drilled out the rivets and bolted in tripple straps or
something, but they want $275 or something crazy for it!

Like I said, the 190mm 4-puck Clutch Net won the ultimate battle and wore the
PP deeply enough to stop working before the pucks themselves were very far
worn, but it never broke anything (knocks on wood).

I don't drag race, and I suspect that the treated surface of a drag strip's
starting line adds a lot of stress to the picture. And the car doesn't see the
street much at all. But I have done several "ProSolo" events with a
drag-race-style start on normal asphalt/concrete, and I do spin the wheels off
the line on every run at every event...it's actually just easier and more
consistent than trying to modulate the thing in 1st gear. I figure that's
somewhere in the neighborhood of 300-ish autocross runs in the past three
years.

Are there better pressure plates out there? I'll be installing a hybrid 4-speed
after this season is over, so I'll have another opportunity to change it out...

Neal
'77 Scirocco