high fuel consumption / cold start / rough idle

It means that something is wrong with your mixture, and when the system
goes into default mode, things are better (unhooking the O2).   Your idea
of looking for leaks is a damn good one...especially anywhere in the
intake system (aux air regulator included).

But...it is possible that your O2 crapped out...when the O2 is hooked up,
does the exhuast smell like its running rich? (heavy fuel smell).

--
Eric
www.vintagewatercooleds.com

1981 Scirocco S (TDI swap project)
1981 Rabbit Truck LX Diesel -FOR SALE-
1990 Corrado TDI -FOR SALE-
1990 Fox Wagon
1991 Cabriolet (2.0 crossflow 8v project)
1994 Jetta GL