Engine codes.

Ok, every few months I get bothered that I don't know the exact engine code.
Here's what I was told (when I bought the car) - that it had a 2.OL 8v out
of a 90 or 91 audi.
I was told where to look on the block for the engine code.. but what I do
see dosen't match up. What I see looks like I1L and there's nothing like
that on the VWC engine database..
This "code" is on the right side of the block, the coolant hose exits on the
right side, just to the left of this "code." THis "code" is in an
oval-shape... below that is a rounded, raised thing, that may have letters
stamped very faintly into it. (it's right behind the distributor and I can't
see it very well)
 What am I doing wrong? I just want to be able to take a swig ofa beer and
go "yep, it's got a (whatever) motor!
Thanks, Greg.