Replacing mk1 hard fuel lines w/ future MS in mind?

--- Jeff Toomasson <area53@validpath.com> wrote:
> Hi folks - when I transported the mk1 I'm restoring to the paint shop,
> the coat hanger I used to hold the driver's driveshaft got mangled and
> took fuel and brake lines w/ it... :(

> Anyone have any ideas? Unfortunately, I'll be facing the same dilemma
> with the brake lines...I'm not opposed to spending the $$ I need to fix
> these and buy new, but I just have no clue w/ regards to the lines,
> size, flaring, etc...

Jeff:

The lines are 8mm, which is essentially identical to 5/16"...so close that Parker Hannifin uses
the same ferrules and nuts for both 8mm and 5/16".

You will want to flare the line and use a -5 ferrule and JIC 37* nut.  Then go to a -5 to -6
male-male adapter (since nobody makes all the groovy AN fittings for -5).  BTW JIC 37* and "AN"
are fundamentally the same.  There is a tiny difference in the thread form at the root, and that's
it.   Mating surfaces are identical. For our uses they are interchangeable.

After you're -6, knock your socks off with all the Earl's AN fittings and lines you need.

Here are the Parker P/N's:
Ferrule: 5TX
Nut: 5BTX (I believe the B=brass)
-5 to -6 male-male adapter (union): 6-5HTX, add SS suffix for stainless

HTH

Ron