Cooling the Oil Filter was: Is Schrick Oil pans worth it?

> Scourge wrote:
> > Anybody ever try one of those heatsink things that slides over your oil
> > filter and is held on by a setscrew?
> > I used to see them for bmw's in european car magazine. Always wondered
if
> > they'd make a difference.
> >

> Hmmm, Maybe we could stick an air intake scoop out in the air stream
> (hole on the front airdam?) and direct the dryer ducting to blow over
> the oil filter.
>
> Might need something like radiator fins or a Computers' CPU heatsink to
> aid in transferring the heat out of the actual filter housing though.

The exact thing he is talking about is a finned aluminum extrusion.

The way I see it, if you have an oil temperature problem, install an oil
cooler, or more oil capacity or at the least, a finned aluminum, larger
capacity oil pan.  I am sure the oil filter-cooler thingy would help to
transfer some heat from the metal of the filter into the airflow, but I
doubt it would make a noticeable difference.

gd