Looking at a Passat....any tips?

I had a Quantim with an auto trans that melted down one Christmas eve a few
years back.  I actually had the thing loaded with gifts...on the way to see
the familty.  I hated the auto, anyway, but this was inconvenient.

Don't know if it's the same as on the Passats but I never was too crazy
about VW auto-tragics from a reliability point of view.

Jim