Looking at a Passat....any tips?

Advice on Passats - I really only have one big caveat on Passats.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BUY AN AUTOMATIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't make that any more emphatic in plain text, so that will have to do.  The trans will break on a regular basis - often repairably, but sometimes not.  Daun has had success repairing his, but then he got the car for $500, so it was worth doing.

I have owned a '95 since new and was big into the Passat Owner's Group for many years.  The Autos break often.  Don't be tempted.

Other than that, the B4 ('95 - '97) Passats are outstanding cars.  They are not big and boatlike like the later ones, but more refined than the earlier ones.  Check out the owners group (www.yahoogroups.com - vwpassat, I think) and you will likely find some nice ones for sale.  There was talk on the group about the time I left regarding dividing the group of '97 and earlier passats into a separate group, so maybe that has happened.

Brian