Fox question

David Utley wrote:
>>From: T Berk <tberk@sbcglobal.net>
>>Date: 2004/09/22 Wed AM 04:39:52 EDT
>>CC: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>>Subject: Re: Fox question
>>

>>Foxes are great cars, they share the 1.8 low compression motor of the
>>same era Golf/Jetta but the exhaust has a restrictive 'dough nut' after
>>the manifold to reduce the performance a bit.
>

> TBerk,
>   I hate to correct you, as you are so often correct, and always courteous!  However, all Foxes I have seen (including an 87) had knock sensors, they therefore have the high-comp. motors.
>
> Having said that, great post as always...
>
> Cheers,
>   David

This may be true as I wasn't into taking my then new Fox apart or having
a Bentley for a brand new car, let's investigate.....

 From David's VW page:
<http://www.volkswagen.org/EngineSwap/default.htm>

1.8L 87-90 Fox  	81@  	   	JN  	CIS
1.8L 90-93 Fox  	83@  	   	ABG  	Digifant

OK, looks like the motors are 9:1, not quite the 10:1 I have come to
know as VW High Compression, but not the original Rabbit motor either.

<http://www.lunaticfringe.org/vwfox/fox.html>

Engine Code -----> 	UM	JM	ABG
Compression Ratio:	9.0:1	9.0:1	9.0:1

Thx for the catch,