Fox question

I've had a 600 dollar fox for the last 2 1/2 yrs. have
spent 2-3 times that on it(front struts, tie rods,
mounts, CPR, ignition switch, tuneups etc).I bought it
cuz hey it a was a running car for 600 bucks. Mine is
a 4-door 90 GL. "Loaded" with AC and sunroof.
Performance is very close to my stock 8V scirocco, but
has been less reliable.
 I Have replaced a lot of fuel lines, underneath and
in eng. compartment. also check out the front strut
mounts, they are sourced from the superbeetle, known
to last only 5-10000 miles. I have problems with the
stupid vac controlled HVAC.
 a 93 I believe is a digifant small valve hydraulic
lifter JH/N engine, should be 5 speed in 93. 81 HP,
remove the restrictor doughnut before the cat to raise
a bit. they didn't want it outperforming the A2. ALso
I think all 4 door 93's are GL  which gives you map
pocket, trunk light, tach, pass. side mirror. No power
windows or steering were ever available. steering is
not too bad though. I have 185/60 14's and my 105
pound girlfriend can park it.
My only gripe is lack of aftermarket(you can get stuff
from Brazil) and I hate the passive seat belts (they
reportedly can be changed) In the 4 door the buckle is
right beside your head,  in a side impact it looks
like it will go straight in your ear.
check this link:
http://www.lunaticfringe.org/vwfox/mod/FoxTuningGuide.html

--- "Leach, Michael" <michael.leach@lmco.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with Fox's.  I am
> looking for a fuel efficient cheap car for work and
> ran across a 93 4 door for 600 obo.  What engine do
> they have and are there any specific things to look
> for.
>
> thanks
>
> Michael Leach
> MH-60R Integration and Test