:How many gallons of gas in a 'Roc?--Why I asked about this...

All,
  The reason I ask, is I am considering taking the gas tank and spare tire well from my parts 16V Roc and installing it in my GTI...  The 16V has a compact spare, which should be good for a bit of weight reduction, and of course to have what appears to be a 14-15 gallon tank vs. the puny 10.5 I have now...  One concern I have is that there are problems with these tanks.  Where do they split, and why?  Has anyone done a repair on one and been successful?  One final question:  I am about to buy a new exhaust, will I have to buy another when I get the compact spare and different tank in there?

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated, as usual...  :-)

David