Quarter mile times

>> Subject: Quarter mile times
>>
>> Alright, eveyone join in now!!
>>
>> What have you run(with a rocco.....or at least a vw)
>> on the quarter??
>>
>> My 86 8V currently runs a blistering 18.043, lol.
>> That was my first time at
>> the track. 2.6 second 60' times. I'm running on
>> 185/70/13 all season
>> goodyears.
>>
>> -George

We race everything, poor cars.

1988 F150 - mid 17's
1987 Turbo Diesel Jetta - 20s flat or so
1999 TDI New Beetle - 19.7s with a bad MAF, 18.7-18.5s with with good one,
best was a 17.99 by my son, he beats it worse than I do...good enough to
beat the boys in Power class last year anyway (won me NCRA points in
2003). Those boys hate me, I'd get a huge start, sometimes as much as 8
seconds.
2003 Protege 5 - 17.3s is typical, but we wouldn't take ours till the
warrantee is over.
2001 PT Cruiser - 17.9s with a tailwind

Now the topic of interest:

1987 16V Scirocco- 2.0L with 1.8 head, Euro intake cam, 50mm, Quaiffe,
essentially a 4K, TT exhaust, light flywheel, the mighty Mickey's, and on
and on. Typical mild build. Dynoed at 133hp.
Last time it was at the track? 20.7s @ 62 mph on a 19.0 dial. So now you
can all feel good. This car's times have been off all year, clutch was
REALLY dead on that run obviously.
Typical last year? Low 15's, (15.2/15.3) and the goal last year was to
beat our best 60' time of 2.01s. Best has been 15.1 on a few occasions, at
90 mph. give or take. But I think it should do 14.9 if the planets line up
right. Which they never do. Denny drags this one, not me. "Hope springs
eternal in the staging lanes." You can quote me on that.

1979 Scirocco, 1.6 with the venerable FF, dynoed at 66.6 hp (half the
headache's) and not being beat on too hard: 18.6-18.8s
Same car, with the "new cam". (Denny still doesn't know exactly what that
"cam swap" was, it's a G grind, wrapped in a 10:1 JH, Fox intake manifold,
big throttle body, TT downpipe and 2" exhaust, and a 4K.) Yep, "it's
stock". Oh, and to instill fear in the rice? The mighty Cherry Bomb
glasspack muffler. When I say it sounds like half a Chevelle I mean it.

Best was 16.3s, but I couldn't launch too well since the throttle cable
was sticking. I think I dialed mid 16s. But that one will get into the
15s, there is a lot of tweaking yet to do. I'm looking forward to it.

BUT! There's a yellow 80 at the track that does 11's (turbo 9A). Not
reliably, but shit it's fast. I always cheer for them.

Cathy
2003 NCRA "Power" class points winner (TDI New Beetle)
2003 CSCS "FF" class points winner (1979 8V Scirocco)