Handling and some other ramblings.

> From: Anthony Pelletier <vwnuts@yahoo.com>
> Date: 2004/09/07 Tue PM 04:10:28 EDT
> To: Dan Bubb <jdbubb@ix.netcom.com>,  scirocco-l@scirocco.org
> Subject: Re: Handling and some other ramblings.

I have driven a friends' 84 GTI with the Shine approach, no front bar, and a regular one in the rear.  He however does have the Shine springs, which IIRC they say that you are much better off trying this with their springs over anyone elses, or stock.  The car does handle well, but it does not by any stretch of the imagination do so flatly...  I should mention he has 195/50/15s, sticky tires (do not recall which), and Tokicos, as well as a Eurosport lower bar...  Anyways, we switched cars one time and chased each other around (mine is an 83 GTI, 185/60/14, all-season tires, Konis all the way around (thanks Allyn!), and Koni progressive springs, stock sway bars front and rear, and a Autotech upper bar, and a 16V lower...  I could appreciate that his car would handle, but it will not do so comfortably...  He likes the way mine handles better, and is in the process of duplicating what I have done with mine...  Also, it should be asked, what condition are your bushings in your suspension?  If they are worn, no amount of add-on parts will help.  That should be your first priority...

>From what I can tell, I think the lack of sway bar, and upper and lower reinforcements are your weakest links, esp. if you like the way the A2 handles...  If I have some details wrong, please feel free to correct me...

Cheers,
  David