How I got home this afternoon...

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 22:07:46 -0700, Jeff Toomasson <area53@validpath.com> wrote:

> I love these cars why, again??  :)

Cause, they're like crack - highly addictive...  Some people smoke
rock, others snort blow, yet others crank needles for a rush - we, on
the other had, prefer pure unrefined adrenaline brought on by stabbing
the throttle of a street legal go-kart...  :)

After only ONE day driving my new daily driver - a 1990 Audi Coupe
Quattro, I already miss the POS beater 81S that I've been abusing for
far too long.  It's a sweet ride, but totally lacks the agility of the
Scirocco...

Speaking of the beater - it KNEW it was on it's last ride last night.
My insurance for the Audi didn't start until midnight, so I decided to
take the beater out for one last ride/flog - even though it would mean
at least five minutes of wiggling/shaking the fuse panel until I had
the full combination of headlights, tailights, and wipers.  It's
relatively easy to get two of the three, but to have all three working
at the same time is a feat not easily accomplished...  So after the
usual cursing and violence directed towards that evil
rusted-out-poor-excuse-for-a-fuse-panel I win the trifecta and head
out with lights and wipers a-blaz'in...  Now this car, despite it's
multiple attempts at stranding me over the years (but never
succeeding), decides to try one last time...  At a busy intersection
it just dies.  Crank - nothing...  Hmmmm...  So I put it in first gear
and use the starter to get me up the little hill into a gas station
parking lot...  After I fully unleash my rath on that poor bastard of
a fuse panel it still does nothing.  So I start poking around the
bird's nest of wire near the panel and notice an inline fuse that's
been hacked into the wiring to where the fuel pump relay once lived.
It's blown, so I put in a new one, and voila, it starts!  Victory is
mine!   :)   Needless to say, I beat on it extra hard for that.
Bastard - gotta be a prick right to the bitter end...  (can you tell I
have a love/hate relationship with this car!)  :)

Anyways, I'd like to raise a toast to my 81 S.  <raise glasses>  "Even
though you've been through hell and back, and probably should have
been taken off the road years ago - here's to a car that's gone beyond
the call of duty, and then some...  May you enjoy your twilight years
being ripped limb from limb as a parts car - I promise to be
gentle..."

Later,

Mark.
75 Scirocco