[OT] Anyone with VOIP experience?

We use VoIP at work between our Atl and Richmond offices.  You can't tell
the diference.  However, on a home based solution, there are only a few
concerns to deal with.

If you game on-line, use of the phone may degrade playability a bit.  I
haven't looked to see what bit rates vonage's services use, so I can't say
for sure it will actually impact this.

The other is the consistancy of your broadband provider.  If you have
frequint outages, then that means the phone is down as well.  Once again, I
haven't looked at vonages services very closely at all, they may have a
service that forwards to a cell phone incase the base home phone can't be
reached.

Another thing that popped into my head (and maybe Julie can speak about this
since she says she has it) is that if some of the routers in between you an
vonage are a bit slow, you may get the same garble, echo, etc. as you might
find on a cell phone when your in a crappy coverage spot.

Basicly I think the VoIP is a great thing, and I know Vonage will allow you
to pick just about any number you want, meaning that if all the long
distance calls you ever make are to one area, you can get a number for that
area and the calls will be considered local, however, the draw back is that
your local friends will have to dial a long distance number.  So it's kinda
50/50.  Look into it a bit, I'm sure you will find it suitable.  Oh and I
know what having one the "Bells" is like, I have good ole' Maw Bell (read
Southern Bell) and I think I may be looking at VoIP as an option as well
since their basic line w/call waiting and no LD is costing me damn near $40
a month.

William Snyder