wiring how-to's

I find the Bentley W/D's very easy to read - are you having problems in a specific place or with a
certain part of the W/D?

I'd be removing the steering wheel, gauge cluster, and center vent/ashtray simply for access.  The
console too, if it's not already out.

Get yourself a meter, some tie-wraps, and some tape (to label wires and connectors).  It's really
not that bad, just take it one circuit at a time.

Just post if you need help...

Ron

--- Dan Smith <sad_rocc@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Cool, good info. Bummer on there not being a site. ATS Pat, you haven't rewired a car and
> photographed the whole thing yet? ;)
>
> I'm pretty sure it is original mk1 wiring and I'm not rewiring the ENTIRE car per se, just the
> interior. Motor and everything in the bay is fine. I do need to rewire the dash, heat, rear
> defrost, gauges, radio, etc etc. Sounds like it's not as bad as it seems, my only problem is
> this is my DD so I need it to go smoothly. I'll see what I can figure out and go from there.
> Thanks!
>
> Dan
>
> Jeff Toomasson <area53@validpath.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, there's no site with anything helpful. But it's not
> really as hard as it appears - assuming you're using an original mk1
> harness. There are a couple of things you can do:
>
> - for the parts of the harness that would be in the car, you can kind
> lay it out on the ground and know where's it's supposed to end up. No
> wires run down the passenger side of the car, so keep it driver-centric.
>
> - HVAC wires are large in gauge
>
> - the instrument cluster and dash switches should be obvious, same for
> the two center console switches
>
> - the rest goes into the engine bay - you should be able to pick out the
> starter cable, CIS harness, headlight/signal wires rather easily. Again,
> the spatial representation will give you lots of clues to the general
> location of things.
>
> - once you get 90% figured out (which you should be to do), just ask the
> list! :)
>
> Like I've mentioned, spatial representation is key.
>
> HTH, JT
>
> David Utley wrote:
>
> >I sympathize Dan. I suck at wiring. If I didn't, I would prolly be driving my mad caddy by
> now... Unfortunately, I don't have anything more helpful than that to offer... :-(
> >
> >Good Luck with it...
> >
> >David
> >

> >>From: Dan Smith
> >>Date: 2004/10/23 Sat PM 01:07:37 EDT
> >>To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
> >>Subject: wiring how-to's
> >>
> >>Does anyone know of a tech writeup on how to rewire a mk1? All non-essential wires were cut
> and so if I want heat and dash lights and everything else, I need to replace the wiring with a
> new harness I have. However, I know zip about electronics and cannot figure out how the hell to
> read the wiring diagram in the Bently. Also, the wiring harness isn't labeled. Is there some
> trick or website with photos that I could figure it out from?
> >>
> >>Dan

> >---Chrome don't get you home.---

=====
Cheapass Ron
"Victor Jr." - '81 Scirocco S 7SM
2.0L 16V w/ Megasquirt, Quaifed GL 4-speed
It's Alive!!!