scirocco goes to the recycler

--- chiroveda@mindspring.com wrote:

> what items should I keep of my scirocco that may be of
> value for sale or for my other 87 16v scirocco.

I guess it depends on what you have room for.

First, what shape is the body in?  I've been keeping stuff
that has *some* rust on it as there's a lot of
"unobtainium" parts on these cars and it's not getting any
better.  Things like fenders / hood / bodykit (especially
the hardware) / doors (if the handles aren't rusty).  Glass
is a good one too.

Scirocco 16v specific stuff, like intake manifold &
associated plumbing is a good thing to keep - it's needed
in any A1 16v swap.  Keep the head as long as the valves
haven't been bent.  Rear axle, or at least the stub axle /
calipers are a nice upgrade for 8v folks.  16v taillights
are always nice to have, especially since they seem to get
broken in a rear-ender.

Interior stuff - instrument cluster, seats if not very
ripped, power window motors and related wiring / switches,
especially if they work.  Sunroof parts, especially the
little guides that always break in just the wrong spot.
Parcel shelf if un-cut.  Uncracked dashes, center consoles
if in good shape.

So does this thing just need a tranny?  I've got a spare
(or two).  Or is it getting rusty underneath?  You
mentioned the a/c worked - how well?  I'm getting to the
point where I need a new compressor on my '88 16v and I
don't have a good one.  (hint hint)

Welp, back out to the barn for more parts organization....
 I've parted too many of these things!

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'77, '81 S, '85, '86 & '88 16v Sciroccos, '96 Passat GLX Wagon, '56 Cessna 172
"My rabbit has a human foot on his keychain.  That's not the scary part.  What I wanna know is what those keys are for." - The Four Postmen