trunk space

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:35:44 -0700, Jacob Hawes
<gr8hunter1@comcast.net> wrote:

>Just had an idea about the noise. Would putting a hardwood lining in the
>back help. I know I have seen truck beds made of 2x4s. The down side
>would be bringing the floor up 2".

I think you need to absorb and deaden as much sound as possible and
that would just reflect it.  The best (expensive) solution is Dynamat
(or some similar that are a bit cheaper, but still pricey), which was
too much for me.  I used several layers of 3/16" foam underlayment
(for wood flooring) glued on the trunk floor prior to the carpeting.
I doubt it works as well as Dynamat, but it was way cheaper.

I might be tempted to try some carpet padding or other foam (the
denser, the better) - maybe a couple of layers - if I were taking out
the entire seat.   Anything you can buy by the yard is usually cheap
enough.  Try gluing speaker box carpeting to as much of the exposed
metal as possible to cut down reflected noise.  I stuffed the rear
quarter panels ahead and behind the wheel wells with foam and carpet
scraps as well.

Gordon

75 Mk I/Drake 1.9