Exhausting research (and looking for a small part)

 dug out my old cat
> converter and made it into an expansion chamber.  Now, absolutely free
> of the ceramic element and inline diffuser, I reinstalled it.  Can't
> believe how much quieter the exhaust note is today.  No raspy sound at
> all - just a nice low rumble.  Bonus is, if anybody official ever
> looks, I've got the required emissions equipment in place.  It's been
> a good morning in the garage.

I love you.... oh did I say that out loud? I'm just about to finally get a
decent particulate mask to do the same thing, and I was afraid of what it
would sound like. Nice to know it will be an upgrade of sorts, the
headache keeps getting quieter, the Borla instead of the rattly one, the
engine finally aligned so the exhaust doesn't hit the frame....good to
know it may be a good thing. We have so many "ricer busting" inspections
out here on track days, I don't need a ticket. Otherwise I'd leave the
straight pipe in there. Not to mention she has to pass the visual for
"Drive Clean" again this year.

Cathy
1987 2L 16V Scirocco - the Silver Headache
1979 1.8L 10:1 8V - Klaus- sounds like 0.33 of a Chevelle
"The light at the end of the tunnel is probably an oncoming train"