Exhausting research (and looking for a small part)

For some time (since last smog test, anyway) I've been using the
well-known "check pipe" in place of the catalytic converter.  It,
combined with an old school Leistritz exhaust system, produces good
power but a rather loud, raspy exhaust note.

I've been on a binge to bring the overall noise level of the Scirocco
down by carpeting the trunk, and adding an under dash panel along with
lots of sound deadening in the doors and elsewhere.  (I know quiet is
not a priority with most of you guys, but since 85 our "other cars"
have always been MBs and they do kinda get you used to the absence of
noise outside of tire thumps on the Botts dots and expansion joints).

Did a bit of Googling and found some good info on exhaust system
design.. mostly motorcycle, but seemingly relevant, dug out my old cat
converter and made it into an expansion chamber.  Now, absolutely free
of the ceramic element and inline diffuser, I reinstalled it.  Can't
believe how much quieter the exhaust note is today.  No raspy sound at
all - just a nice low rumble.  Bonus is, if anybody official ever
looks, I've got the required emissions equipment in place.  It's been
a good morning in the garage.

The part I need is the hangar bracket where the header meets the cat..
a flat "C" shaped piece that fits on the bottom two flange bolts and
sticks out towards the drivers side with a hook for one of the rubber
donuts.  The original one on my car supported the lower heat shield as
well, but that's not important.  If you have one in your scrap pile,
or know if you can buy one somewhere, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Gordon

75 Mk I/Drake 1.9