[no subject]

> The haynes (aka Book of Lies) says you need a valve
> compressor with a 'long claw' I presume its referring
> to the size of the jaws. what I need to know is which
> tool to buy from machine mart! Anyone? will the one
> with 155mmjaw and 160mm throat be ok or should I go
> for the more expensive 175mm jaw and 165mm throat!>?!?
> Sorry, don't know what this is in inches guys!! ;)

GENERAL rule-of-tools-thumb: buy the largest they have.

> Also, I have ordered a head gasket set from
> eurocarparts, but wonder which other gaskets are
> needed - the haynes says to remove the head with the
> inlet and outlet manifolds still connected - is this
> best, if so which other gaskets would be needed?

THERE may be a problem using the valve spring compressor with the I/E
manifolds in place.  Take off one or the other, methinks the intake would
give you fewer problems...

> And.... (sorry to make it such a long post) there are
> two special tools needed according to the haynes,
> there's one to insert the stem seals (VW 10 204?) and
> one for removal of the exhaust downpipe...
>
> BTW, while I'm at it, which oil shall I pop in after?
> have ordered a new oil filter and plugs while I'm at
> it!

YOU are asking what oil to use??  Use what you always use.
If you feel magnanimous, use a good synthetic....
Good luck.
Larry
sandiego16v