No subject

Hi all,

Am about to tackle the billowing smoke from my 1990
scala, which only happens when its started from cold,
this has been diagnosed as the valve stem seals, so I
want to whip the head off to change the valve stem
seals.

The haynes (aka Book of Lies) says you need a valve
compressor with a 'long claw' I presume its referring
to the size of the jaws. what I need to know is which
tool to buy from machine mart! Anyone? will the one
with 155mmjaw and 160mm throat be ok or should I go
for the more expensive 175mm jaw and 165mm throat!>?!?
Sorry, don't know what this is in inches guys!! ;)

Also, I have ordered a head gasket set from
eurocarparts, but wonder which other gaskets are
needed - the haynes says to remove the head with the
inlet and outlet manifolds still connected - is this
best, if so which other gaskets would be needed?

And.... (sorry to make it such a long post) there are
two special tools needed according to the haynes,
there's one to insert the stem seals (VW 10 204?) and
one for removal of the exhaust downpipe...

BTW, while I'm at it, which oil shall I pop in after?
have ordered a new oil filter and plugs while I'm at
it!

Any advice and info welcome, hope to have a go
tomorrow!

hope everyone's well!

Sean (soon to have the obligatory grazed knuckles!)