OT jetta or passat motors?

> From: Tonee Northam <pb3vr6@yahoo.com>
> Date: 2004/10/05 Tue PM 10:02:03 EDT
> To: Parker Wulf <BADVDUB@gmail.com>,  list <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
> Subject: Re: OT jetta or passat motors?
>
> If she doesn't want fast or expensive, then look toward the 2.0 or TDI. The salesman was talking crap to get her to spend more money.
>
> Tonee
I agree, the TDI is rock solid, just more expensive on oil changes.  The VR6 is also rock solid, however the VR6s in these years tend to get some noise from the chain guides.  If not taken care of, this can turn into a throw chain which is very expensive.  Even the repair/replacement of the chain guides is not cheap.  IIRC, the engine has to be lifted up out of the engine bay, or the tranny has to be dropped so that you can tilt the motor to get to the parts in question.  If you find one with noise, bear that in mind...

HTH,
  David

PS--  All the motors are pretty solid, even the icky 2.0 ABA...  :-)