OT: fun with caddys - wtb parts (some non-caddy)

> From: "Allyn" <amalventano@sc.rr.com>
> Date: 2004/10/05 Tue PM 09:50:28 EDT

> i then realize the radiator fan isnt running (it ought to be, especially
> with a/c switch on). also, the relief on the reservoir is burping coolant.
> the temp was about 5/8 on the meter. it was odd that the fan was off. i kill
> the engine, and about 15 seconds later the fan kicks on (odd). the fan runs
> for a few minutes and cuts back off. i go for a drive later on and the fan
> runs past shutdown a second time. there is no issue with the fan running
> after cut-off, the issue is that at a constant idle, the fan was not being
> told to turn on. could this be the same issue that i had on the rieger,
> where the idle was too low and the water was cooling below the threshold
> before it made it to the fan temperature switch? it seems to idle at a
> normal diesel type speed.

What color coolant is in it ATM?  If I were you, I would go ahead and get some Prestone coolant system flush, and flush it twice, in case there is a partial blockage in the rad (if you had or could get an infrared pyrometer, you could tell right quick).  I would also replace the T-stat (in case it is only partially open), and the fan switch (cheap enough).  Be sure to get Diesel spec. parts, as they are cooler than gas.  Then I would pour in the orangy-red coolant (any brand but Dexcool, as it is too acidic, Dexcool -compatbile- is fine).  Hopefully this will solve your problem, although it might be nicer to discover the cause of the problem first instead of just replacing parts.  However, any Diesel I buy I will do these things first off...

On the rear bumper, there is factory, there is homebuilt, and there is nada, and that is about it.  On the caddy forum, http://www.vwcaddyforum.com/, there was a fella here in the states (as it is based in the UK), that came up with using an S10 rollpan and modifying it to make it work.  There are a few different styles, it should be easily found...

Hope that helps,
  David

---Chrome don't get you home.---