Decisions...

I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself. You want to buy a 16v shell and put the parts from your 8v in it? Seems a little backwards to me. Plus you have to wait for the guy to part it, then stick all your stuff in it and get it running by Jan.

The other thing is it's a scirocco. You're not going to find a used old DD with good paint and it certainly won't be rust-free if it comes from the midwest. It may look rust free, but it isn't. They never are. If you like the '82, use your garage time to do some body work and then save for paint in the spring or something. Stick a 16v body kit on it and no one will know the difference (except us of course).

I don't mean to come off as harsh, but you did ask. I think you should sit down, figure out what you want out of a car, what you want to do with it and what are your specs on body, interior, mechanics, etc and go from there. Buying up all the cheapo abused VWs around you is just a waste of money and time. Figure out what you want and go for it, it will turn up soon enough.

Just my $0.02,
Dan

Rhett Farnum <rocco.crossing@gmail.com> wrote:
Well folks,

Since the GTI is now basically sold (buyer has to finish payment and
pick-up this Sunday). I have a little internal debate. I love the 82
that Tarra got from Daun (i now own it) but it does have some rust and
obvious paint issues. A friend of mine has come across a rust free 16V
that had some running issues and is now running great but he does not
expect to get it sold as a whole car. He has offered me the shell
minus all 16V specific stuff and the interior. I plan on dropping a
1.8L 8v (8V lover here remember) in whichever I end up with (actually
have the deal made for the motor.)

So do I save what I need off the 82 and try to part the rest out and
or junk it and buy the rust free 16V shell and swap my parts over? Or
do I pass on the 16V and try to help him keep another 16V on the road?
I really would love to have a rust free shell but the 82 has nothing
major that couldn't be repaired reasonably easily. PLus I would have
to strip the 82 and put it all back on the 16V body. I could do this
but I am probably going to lose my garage in Jan. because I may be
moving again. I also work 2 PT jobs and go to school w/ a 16 credit
load. Do you think I could get this done by Jan with working on my
brothers houses also, since they both need a little work before I
move?

Wow, I'm getting as breathy as Cathy!! I could use any suggestions as possible.

If I end up not interested in the 16V I will post more info to any of
you interested. BUT I have first dibs of course.

TIA,
Rhett