ventilation fix

he must have been a wuss... i was totally keeping up
with him, and i have a 1.6, with really bad
compression.  104 in 2 cyl., like 130 in one, 120 in
the last.  and i was neck to neck with him.
weird thing happened today: the engine got stuck at
3000 rpm.  i was trying to stop at a red light, but it
wasn't slowing down, i clutched, and the rpm shot up.
i stopped, turned the engine off, back on, went right
back to 3000.  since i was turning onto I40 i didn't
care.  it's fine now, any ideas???  i tried tapping
the pedal, if something was stuck, it didn't seem to
get unstuck.