mk1 electrical gremlins - alternator specific (...I think)

i did relay my hi and low beams, that helped with the
brightness of the lights, but it did nothing for my
low voltage reading, which now is causing the battery
to not want to start the car often.  like today, in
the rain.  when i start the car i have about 10.4v,
then it goes up to around 11.5, or 11.8.  it was at
13.4, or something, when i first started driving it a
few months back.  i suppose i'll go to autozone and
have them attach the machine, to tell me what the
problem is.