mk1 electrical gremlins - alternator specific (...I think)

> From: Lars Bruchmann <pilotlars@yahoo.com>
> Date: 2004/11/03 Wed PM 04:47:57 EST

 when i start the car i have about 10.4v,
> then it goes up to around 11.5, or 11.8.  it was at
> 13.4, or something, when i first started driving it a
> few months back.  i suppose i'll go to autozone and
> have them attach the machine, to tell me what the
> problem is.

One word of warning on this.  When I worked at OReillys, we had to warn folks that testing an alternator is hard on it, and if it is already weak, it may kill it.  When you test it, the unit is cold (normally), and you put it on a machine that tests full capacity immediately.  Most motors do not hold up to this abuse, why should an alternator?

For what it is worth...

David

---Chrome don't get you home.---