mk1 electrical gremlins - alternator specific (...I think)

> From: "Jeff Toomasson" <area53@validpath.com>
> Date: 2004/11/03 Wed PM 03:18:44 EST

> 1) Should I be focusing on the grounds instead?
>
> 2) How much difference would relaying the lights help?
>
> 3) Barring the above two (in the interest of fixing it quickly as it's my DD
> for this week), how much would the 90A alt help?
>
> Thanks a bunch!
>
> JT

Jeff,
  While no two cars are the same, with what I have seen over the years, this is what I would do...  Replace the ground first with an oversized cable that a stereo shop would sell.  I would bet that this will benefit the most, what with age and all, and if memory serves you are on or near a coast, so resistance will prolly be high...  Next I would do the alternator.  It made a big difference in the brightness of my GTI, and I do not even have a stereo or anything beyond factory electrical accessroies on my car.  These two fixes will be much faster than relaying your lights, and the two together should help you...

My take on it...  Good Luck with the repairs...

David