How do you know your Scirocco is a brat?

hehe I have had my 4 days of collant leak issues
myself and I sympatise with you drew,

1. brand new bottle cracks and leaks because I use a
blue cap on the bottle instead of a black one. easy
fix, swap bottle for a newly purchased one..

2. 2 weeks later  leak again, suspect becomes hoses,
as they are wet, so I pull all hoses out and get new
ones (they were 2 years old anyways) install
everything back in place...

BBBBBbbiatch leaks still... hoses wet again... I pull
the bottle full of liquid and set aside...

its the bottle that is leaking on the edge of the two
forms... Pisssed, I grab a MKII (82) rad that uses no
bottle, take the rad out, take the condenser out
(needed to be replaced because it was clogged and
might as well do it now I have the rad out) well, my
spare has a stripped edge on the fitting, call
adirondacks, order a new one, gets here 1 day later,
install that in place.. the fitting are the wrong
ones, pissed, I set it asside. and examine my old
one... (72 hrs have past as I work 1pm-9pm
everyday)...

3. figured out the problem with the condenser
connection, use pipe cutter and reset the edge back a
little, and get the fitting to fit, install the
bottle-free radiator in, burp it.. and go for a 30 min
drive... I am happy as a cow in a field of fresh hay,
the can runs smooth, its stay cool... come back home
and get lunch..

4. come back out from lunch two hours later, thinking
okay.. bleed brakes and clean car... but notice...
yeah.. a nice drip line from the radiator on the
ground...shiet sheit sheit, pull rad from car, get in
pick up, drive 20 miles to radiator shop.

yep its leaking all over the place... DOH! but they
can have another one like it in 2 hrs... so I hang
around town and goof off, grab the rad and come home..

Pullit out and yep its the same type (with no bottle )
but its a MKI not a MKII (MKI use bumpers and MKII use
pins) so I goto home depot and get rubber feet to
install the rad as it looks the same size...

one detail.. since I use an external oil cooler... it
dont fit.(and I was not going to begin a "move the oil
cooler somewhere..nope nope nope.

At this point its yesterday night 11pm, and I am about
to pour gas on the car and set it on fire... But brian
wagner calls me and let me vent for 20 mins or
so...then I head out for a beer in the kitchen and..
sleep...

woke up this morning... put the original
radiator/bottle combo back into the car, using the new
hoses I reinstall everything the way it was before
(exception the bottle is out of an 84 its flugy to
look at but it does not leak go figure!) and I drove
it to work...it dont leak.

non scirocco content - now I have to change the water
pump on a cabby with PS, AND AC.. cheers !

--- drew@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca wrote:
> Besides Cathy - EVERYBODY knows all of her cars are
> Brats.  Except maybe
> Klaus - and he's old enough to know better.
>
> My Cincy pre-inspection/work was pretty much limited
> to a good interior
> cleaning (haven't done one since my first trip to
> Daun's four years ago -
> yikes!) new front and year mounts, and a bleed of
> the rear brakes, which
> still seem a touch spongey after I rebuilt one of
> the pressure regulators
> a while back.
>
> So this morning as I'm putting the car up on
> jackstands to do the mounts
> and the brakes, I see a drop of coolant on the shop
> floor.  Sumbitch.
> maybe a leaky rad (bad, but liveable) or a leaky
> hose (damned gear
> clamps.)  A quick visual check topside reveals
> nothing obvious - rad end
> tanks look dry, as do all the hose connections.
>
> As I crall underneath to put the jackstands in
> place, I glance up to see
> coolant dripping from the weep-hole plug in the
> waterpump.
>
> Well, isn't that just a charmer.  Here it is
> Saturday morning - we're
> leaving on Thursday.  I can't get a  replacement
> pump until Monday, my
> wife needs HER car Tuesday, and I'm working late
> Monday night.  Oh yeah,
> did I mention this is a diesel?  The injector pump
> is right smack dab
> above the alternator bracket mounting bolts, which
> have to come out to get
> the water pump out.  Of course, the big rad and
> intercooler mean the
> alternator is a bitch to get out (and back in) and
> by the time all is said
> and done, it'll be 3 or 4 hours of hell, if I'm
> lucky.
>
> OK, my rant is done.
>
> Drew
>
> 84 Wolfsburg Ed. Scirocco GTD
> http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd
> 89 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Avant
> 94 A3 Golf GL TurboDiesel, 99 A3 Jetta GL TDI

=====
ATS - Patrick Bureau - '85 3A/JH 2L 102.5 WHP Scirocco.
'86 8v White, '82 1.7L Carbed,  '78 Gti 8v and  '81 S Project.
Email: ats@longcoeur.com - Web: http://ats.longcoeur.com/
See what I am selling today on ebay: HTTP://tinyurl.com/22e5b