How do you know your Scirocco is a brat?

Besides Cathy - EVERYBODY knows all of her cars are Brats.  Except maybe
Klaus - and he's old enough to know better.

My Cincy pre-inspection/work was pretty much limited to a good interior
cleaning (haven't done one since my first trip to Daun's four years ago -
yikes!) new front and year mounts, and a bleed of the rear brakes, which
still seem a touch spongey after I rebuilt one of the pressure regulators
a while back.

So this morning as I'm putting the car up on jackstands to do the mounts
and the brakes, I see a drop of coolant on the shop floor.  Sumbitch.
maybe a leaky rad (bad, but liveable) or a leaky hose (damned gear
clamps.)  A quick visual check topside reveals nothing obvious - rad end
tanks look dry, as do all the hose connections.

As I crall underneath to put the jackstands in place, I glance up to see
coolant dripping from the weep-hole plug in the waterpump.

Well, isn't that just a charmer.  Here it is Saturday morning - we're
leaving on Thursday.  I can't get a  replacement pump until Monday, my
wife needs HER car Tuesday, and I'm working late Monday night.  Oh yeah,
did I mention this is a diesel?  The injector pump is right smack dab
above the alternator bracket mounting bolts, which have to come out to get
the water pump out.  Of course, the big rad and intercooler mean the
alternator is a bitch to get out (and back in) and by the time all is said
and done, it'll be 3 or 4 hours of hell, if I'm lucky.

OK, my rant is done.

Drew

84 Wolfsburg Ed. Scirocco GTD     http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd
89 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Avant
94 A3 Golf GL TurboDiesel, 99 A3 Jetta GL TDI
At the time this email was written there were only
5 days, 8 hours, and 1 minute until Cincy2K+4!  Have YOU packed yet?