Is it an 'S' or not?

Is there a way to identify if an '80 or '81 Scirocco is/was an 'S' model by
the VIN???

I recently came across a 1980 white Scirocco with 'S' badges but there are
some weird things about the car... First it has a 5 speed and 'S' badges
and trim... but it has chrome trim on the rain gutters and the red velour
seats... I spoke to the original owner and she has done nothing in the way
of modifications... just drove it for 24 years.

Are there any 'S' only attributes that I can look for? She hasn't decided
to sell and wants the car to go to a good home... I think I convinced her I
would take car of it but I'm still curious about it's history.

-Raffi