my most recent misadventure (long)

so i needed to make the 500 mile, 6 1/2-7 hour trip to atlanta and back this
week.  the first thing i found out is that the tt header is really, REALLY
loud on the highway. got emissions tested without incident except needing a
new gas cap, and was doing some stuff around the house. as i pull into the
hardware store, the car hiccups violently and dies. won't restart. this
makes me very nervous. i check timing belt first before i commence to
cranking (gee, i wonder why i would think that was the cause?). it's intact,
no starting. so, i eventually figure out the fuel pump isn't working, with
the spare of course in new orleans.  happily, it's only the fuse, although
of course this is foreshadowing. the next day, as i get ready to drive back,
i pick the girlfriend up, and we're just about to get back on the highway.
i'm sitting at a light, and i smell something smoking. "hmm, do you smell
that? i hope that's not my car," as i glance at the gauges. sure enough, the
next second i see smoke coming out the hood. shit. shut down, take a quick
look, don't see anything obvious, as thoughts of jeff's car dance through my
brain. light turns green, i restart (no problem) and pull over. notice a
puddle of oil beneath car (i had JUST put a new quart of synthetic in too).
notice there's no longer a drain plug. notice another puddle at the light i
was just at. shit. follow the trail of oil back about 1/4 mi and see my
drain plug lying in the middle of the road, with the washer no where to be
found.  i broke down in front of a home depot and costco, conveniently
enough. search through the depot looking for a suitable replacement washer.
i settle on 1/2" steel and a neoprene washer together. walk into costco, and
10qt case of oil later, i try starting it up. ok, no smoking, no funny
noises. no leaks from the improvised gasket.  drives ok. i make it back to
the big easy without further incident. major engine damage seems to have
been averted, though i don't know what the hell was smoking. hopefully just
the little bit of oil that was left. luckily, i don't think i ran the car
for more than 20 secs after the oil was lost. although, yes, i know that's
plenty of time. i kept thinking of those old syntec commercials with the
engines running empty, hoping those sob's weren't lying. by the way, my
girlfriend finally admits to me that, yes, she hates my car. hates it.
doesn't want to drive it, ride in it, etc.  ouch. and no, instead of a new
girlfriend i'm thinking about retiring the rocc from dd duty next year and
getting something a LITTLE more "practical" (like a z roadster? rx-8? older
m3 roadster? :)

-Michael Abatzis
New Orleans!
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP