Is this how I'm supposed to build it? [LONG]

OK, soon after posting on the joys of Thunderbird I managed to write
this really long reply complete with urls and expositions and
reminisces of my Father's A-frame and all kinds of pros and cons.

Then I got caught up in copyright issues with Muir Press (How to keep
you VW alive) and by the time I came back from finding out they sold
to some company in Berkeley who publishes Moon guides and Rick Steves
(from PBS) I came back to running spell check on the email.

(I had previously tried to scan a large tif --> 36 x 24" and ran out
of virtual memory with all the things I had open)

So my message crashed my email client. (1st time ever for this version.)

SO, in a nutshell:

- Tim, Ron's version has these benefits:

1. The 'feet' are more sable.
2. The allthread has a block to distribute the weight, I like the
thick plywood scrap vs 'real' wood here.

Ron's example could benefit from some triangle braces at the feet to
brace junction, or those metal angles we use on studs here in
earthquake country.

I myself like the single bolt and using a chain across the motors' two
pick up points.

A little bearing grease will help the nut, I like the long nut idea
Mark put forward. I was thinking about using one of those pass through
  ratchets, maybe a ratcheting closed end spanner, or a 'wrench' on
the large side from a tap n' die set, something to make th tightening
up a bit less time consuming.

I use an A-frame, (it's 9 feet tall or so), together with a block n'
tackle- works great.

  I can lift the whole motor/trans by myself completely out of the
chassis, but it has a tendency to catch on the hood which needs to be
opened past the normal position, or removed altogether.

otoh the brace is portable and transportable and storable.

TBerk