Best way to "flush out" a dirty tranny? HELP!

On Thu, 20 May 2004, Ron Pieper wrote:

> I'd fill it with a light oily solvent - maybe diesel fuel?  kerosene?  and let the solvent soak
> inside a while.  See if you can turn it by hand, then drain.  Check for rust when draining.  Then
> replace all seals and do the cheap oil fill/flush.  I'd even run it for a few days on cheap gear
> oil just to see how it shifts, sounds, etc. before filling it with anything costly.

I second that.  I've cleaned out several gearboxes with a diesel oil
flush with no apparent adverse effects, and the end up being sparkly clean
inside. Rig an old pressure plate so you can hook an impact wrench to your
pressure plate and spin that puppy through the gears while it's filled,
then leave it to drain for a few days.  The little bit of diesel that's
left inside will not hurt the gear oil.

> Forget the powerwasher except on the outside.

Agreed.

Drew

84 Wolfsburg Ed. Scirocco GTD     http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd
89 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro Avant
94 A3 Golf GL TurboDiesel, 99 A3 Jetta GL TDI
At the time this email was written there were only
14 days, 16 hours, and 30 minutes until Cincy2K+4!  Have YOU packed yet?