Best way to "flush out" a dirty tranny? HELP!

--- Mark <mardak@cogeco.ca> wrote:
> I bought an FF tranny for cheap ...Since there was a bunch of leaves and crap all over
> it, I'm assuming some stuff got inside.

One thing that's sure to be inside is rust.

I'd fill it with a light oily solvent - maybe diesel fuel?  kerosene?  and let the solvent soak
inside a while.  See if you can turn it by hand, then drain.  Check for rust when draining.  Then
replace all seals and do the cheap oil fill/flush.  I'd even run it for a few days on cheap gear
oil just to see how it shifts, sounds, etc. before filling it with anything costly.

Forget the powerwasher except on the outside.

HTH

Ron