OT 2L conversion

John S. Lagnese wrote:
> My friend is going to put a 2L into his 82 Caddy.
> He's got the whole wiring harness, computer, and
> the rest of the car, a 94 Jetta GL. How does that
> mesh with the original gauges? Are the gauges
> color coded for a splice?
> Thanks,
> John
> _____________________

Well, you are skipping two generations of platforms here, so I would
think only the basics will apply: brown wires are usually grounds (but
that might mean they are a switched ground), red and blacks usually
carry 12v, and so on.

  You can expect the loom to plug into the other chassis, hardly if Not
at all.

You'll need to get two Bentley manuals, one each that cover the two eras
and make your own schematic.

Here is a link to some downloadable files off of a Russian VW site;

<http://volkswagen.msk.ru/index.php?p=page09>

Note: this site has lots of cool and groovy stuff; I regularly scan it
to see what additions it might have. (There's a *German* language repair
manual up there now for SCIROCCOs.)

So, YES the gauges are color coded, and NO they aren't really color
coded well for cross year hybrid electricals. Some leg work will need to
be done.

hth,
TBerk