rewiring a stereo

My housemate let me use her deck so I've been working on rewiring the whole stereo setup. Everything was such a mess it was easier to just do new wiring than to try and figure out the old. I'm supposed to run the yellow wire to a "live fuse terminal (bypassing the ignition." I run a red wire "to an accessory fuse terminal." So, which fuse terminals exactly do I use? Is there an easier way? I'd rather not wire into the fuse box and also, I like my radio to turn off when the car turns off, instead of staying on. I was thinking of running the yellow wire to the battery and the red to the ignition, sound doable? It's current configuration has the yellow and red wire join together into 1 that goes who knows where. I get power to the deck but it won't turn on, it's like it doesn't realize the car is on.

Dan