Staging w/ POR15/Picklex? (was: Mmm, surface rust)

Mid-summer sometime I'll be disassembling my mk1 for paint. I'll be removing
the trunk badges, rear wiper, rear side markers, fender antenna hole, not to
mention having to prep my "new" fenders, hood, door handle jamb and fill odd
dimples...

Obviously to do all that I need to remove the paint down to the metal (all
body parts have the original coat exposed so stripping anything won't be
necessary (except for maybe the hood). So, for those areas that will
ultimately be exposed, what can I coat them with to temporarily protect them
for the period (2 weeks tops in June/July) prior to getting the chassis to
the sprayer? I will be doing _all_ the prep and pre-spray sanding myself.

My guess is that POR15 primer would work, but doesn't it have to be applied
like normal primer?

Should I just plastic-wrap all the treated parts (blue 3M masking tape for
on-body areas)?

The car will be primered in grey and then painted in a dark silver 3 coats
color, two clear using Glasurit paint (inside and out - I drool just
thinking about it...).

Thanks, Jeff