clutch

> If installed correctly, these bolts don't back out by themselves -

Drew,

>From memory, 15 ft-lbs, in the proper tightening order, right?  Well, with
that, and brand new bolts, one of them still backed out. It chewed up the
bellhousing (and essentially ruined the case by chipping a huge piece out
of the metal surrounding the starter bushing) and broke a pp strap, which
chewed up the flywheel and made all kinds of horrible sounds. I cleaned a
lot of metal shavings of out my clutch after that.

I wound up replacing the tranny with a new one (a 4K, on which I installed
a bolt kit and 0.80 5th) and using removable loctite on the (new) flywheel
bolts to prevent this sort of thing happening again. (Incidentally,
everything got replaced except for the flywheel.. because the 4K uses an
8v clutch disc, and the PP was busted.)

I can't imagine that the need to put loctite on these bolts varies as a
function of your engine (mine is a 2l 16v) or your driving style (mine
is.. aggressive), so maybe I just had a case of bad luck and this was a
freak incident. Although I'm not convinced that was the case as I've read
about people on the Kotex having the same problem (with flywheel bolts..
not PP bolts*)

In any case, I was not trying to say that loctite on these bolts is
standard procedure, merely advocating it as a method of reducing
instances of clutch-blow-up-ism.

..

What's the FM?

Oh, right.. the 'Friendly' Manual :)

Heheh.

-Toby

(* = although a lot of people do have PP bolts back out due to their
failure to RTFM and thus making dumb mistakes  such as: reusing old
bolts, not using loctite, or skipping that last 1/4 turn.)