TECH: Koni install questions

Just a quick addition - don't forget to add oil to the strut housing
before you slide the new insert in.  The oil helps dissipate the heat
generated by the damper.

Also, if you're not reusing the old dampers and you don't have an impact
gun, clamp a big visegrip on the shaft to keep it from turning while you
loosen the 24mm nut on top...  The new Konis should have either an allen
head or if they're adjustable, IIRC a 10 or 11mm relief in the top of
the damper shaft to hold it when you torque the 24mm nut.

HTH,

Mark.
75
80 S
81 S  2.0 ABA/JH/4K

Just
> be sure to use the proper spacer that Koni supplies...
>
> Well, hopefully this is a start and helps out somewhat.
> Please feel free to poke fun of my half-assed tech procedure, or
simply
> correct and add to it!  ;)
>
> Ben
>

> --- C Boyko <roccit_53@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Okay, I admit it, my cars are spoiled. So the last suspension came
in a
> box,
> > all assembled, and "just bolted on". That means I learned a few
things
> not
> > to do. Anyway, now it's time for the next car, and it's suspension
is
> "some
> > assembly required" with one of those picture sheets where words
should
> be.
> > (Konis)
> > I think I have the back figured out ( I have to ream out the hole in
> that
> > top plate, but otherwise it's normal I think???) , but it's the
front
> I'd
> > appreciate a tech procedure for, since the strut is an insert and
I've
> never
> > dealt with that. It's the "out of the car" assembly that concerns
me,
> I'd
> > like to just put it in once...
> > Cathy
> >

> > BTW, I measured wheelwell height on a few of the cars. As it stands
now,
> > Klaus is a full 2 1/2 inches taller at the wheelwells than the
headache.
> > Though I'll miss the "no jack" oil changes, this suspension can only
be
> > good thing.

---