TECH: Koni install questions

Cathy,

 I'll give you the very basic procedure, but please look in the
Bentley for some more details...

The front strut assembly is one-piece, and can be removed from the
car quite easily... at the base of the strut housing you must remove
the two alignment bolts and then the two small nuts at the top of the
strut on the strut bearing (these are 13mm I believe and keep the strut
bearing in place).  You have to slide the strut off the steering knuckle
and then the strut housing can be manipulated out from the car.

Once the strut is removed, the fun begins.  Use a spring compression
tool to attatch to the spring and compress the spring until it is loose
withing the assembly.  Using an impact gun and 24mm socket, remove
the nut at the top/center of the strut bearing.  With this nut removed you
can remove the strut bearing and the rubber bump stop and then the spring.
The worst part of the job is to now remove the collar on the strut housing
which holds the strut insert in the housing.  A local shop may be needed
to apply the proper form of "persuasion" to get this mother of a collar off!
It is usually a problem on old cars... ie. your mk1 most likely.
But, once off, you can remove the old insert and install the Koni.  Just
be sure to use the proper spacer that Koni supplies...

Well, hopefully this is a start and helps out somewhat.
Please feel free to poke fun of my half-assed tech procedure, or simply
correct and add to it!  ;)

Ben