Start Q's

If it does not start I can usually just get out the Leatherman (A tool,
jeeze) and short the batt term and the starter relay. That will start
it.
If it is in the front of the car, the battery has no problem.
The Welders wire is very low resistance. So its gotta be a ground
someplace.

Take a look at the connector on the solenoid wire, it's near the
firewall, and usually has corrosion. Cut the connector off, and crimp,
or solder the solenoid wire together.

This was my first repair on Mars...

The '84 1/2 Scirocco oddball had an extra ground to the top starter
bolt, I removed it, and the starting problems began... I did away with
the solenoid wire inter-connect terminal, and it's been fine ever since.

HTH!

Peter
http://thescirocco.com
Feel free to call me between 11AM and 11PM - 302.832.8989.