Spring Regatta '04

Well, I'm back here once again from a gathering of sorts, the occasion this
time was to purchase and export Daun's mom's gorgeous white 88 Cabby. But a
whole bunch of Scirocco people somehow showed up, and most were driving what
could best be described as "larger vessels". TWO, count ‘em TWO Mercury
Marquises (Marquisii?) ! They took up the whole Kia parking area all by
themselves. I'll be talking for months about driving Ian's 77, the hood
alone weighs about the same as a Mk I Scirocco, and one of  its hood springs
rolled out from under the seat, it's about the same size as my new springs
for Klaus. I was gonna hook the intake of the Cabby up to the exhaust when
he started it, I'm sure there were enough unburnt hydrocarbons in there to
run it. Mmm, the smells of the 70's, the days when land yachts roamed the
earth. For comparison, a new example was provided as well. But I'm still all
into that 77.
On the topic of Mmmmm, there were a few Bimmer winter rides too, and one of
them actually got licked.. Tasty stuff. (I'll be dreaming of the roar of
that engine Renard, not to mention the leather. We'll have to go for a
topless ride sometime...) And the mandatory Passats, three wagons and a
sedan this go round.  Yep, mostly big luxury liners. Line them puppies up
and you could underline the word Scirocco that we made at Cincy with the
Roccs a few years back.
I had the most passengers, AND the most cargo wedged into one of the few
sport compact winter rides. Thankfully Jim let me unload the MkI dash I was
packing into his car. I did this in gale force winds, and was frozen in
place. I couldn't move till the wind let up. Ice sailing anyone? Gotta love
Buffalo weather.
Typical activites were enjoyed by all, including swapping cars, air
sickness, videotaping general goofiness, and watching videos of previous
goofiness. I finally saw Anson's  "7 minute clutch", and be warned, there is
more coming. ("the sequel" IS as good as the first one in this case) Just
another reason to show up at Daun's in June. I felt rotten, or there would
be lots of blackmail pictures - Renard in leather /  Julie in velvet /
Anson, well, just being Anson, and many more. And my own kid got into the
spirit of it, she comes roaring down the road , downshifts hard, and roars
into the lane, followed by a quick stop. Claims she was "testing the
brakes". No idea where she got that lead foot from.
Anyways, I got the new baby past US/ Canada Customs, and now I've got enough
A1s to fill the wind tunnel nicely. Here's the tally: 1 NewBug, 2 Jettas, 3
Roccos, 1 dead Passat,  2 bunnies. And the big Ford pickemup and hubby's new
rice. A few of them even run. Without exception they all need work.
Anyway, it was a good weekend, glad to see everyone, fill in the gaps as you
like, I missed a lot, so feel free to embarrass those I've left out. You
know you want to...Cathy

MSN Premium helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE*