overheating...

If you have air in the system, it will normally purge itself when driving, and
then your coolant will be low...  If you want to make sure, with the engine
cold (or cool), remove the cap, start the car, raise the rpm to 3K minimum and
keep it there until the fan cycles at least once.  If the water level does
nothing but rise and overflow, you were never low, if it drops, you just
purged the air in the system...

If it overflows, your problem of overheating is elsewhere...  Did you put in
the T-stat backwards (never know until you ask)?  Is the fan running normally?

HTH

David Utley